We’ve seen a groundswell of activism all across the country in the past few years – which is why we launched the USOW Ambassador program. To help cultivate this energy and empower women to take action.
Last year we started with 22 people in 11 states – and our goal is to have Ambassadors in all 50 states and major U.S. territories in 2020! Applications are now open through April 28th at midnight local time.
This program is an opportunity for current and future leaders who are passionate about fighting for gender equity – no matter their background or experience. Our team here will work to ensure the Ambassadors have the right tools, resources, connections and support they need to tell the story of women’s power and make measurable changes in their communities.
Know someone who should apply to be a USOW Ambassador? You can fill out our nomination form to have a copy of our application and your encouraging words emailed to your nominee. Nominations are open until Friday, April 26th at 4pm EST.
About USOW’s Ambassador Program
Ambassadors represent cities and states across the U.S. and work with USOW staff to bring those in their community interested in achieving a more united movement for gender equity. This will be through a combination of the following actions:
- Convene Bring stakeholders, such as government officials, business leaders, local non-profits, activists, and community members, working on gender equity across issue areas in your community together, ensuring that best practices are being shared, efforts are coordinated, and collaboration is happening through regular roundtables, continued engagement, and the eventual creation of a statewide network.
- Build Community Grow a network of local supporters interested in taking action, focusing on outreach to individuals who haven’t previously done so or are looking to get
- Elevate Identify individuals doing innovative, groundbreaking, and/or critical work in your community that should be highlighted on USOW’s media channels and your community of USOW supporters.
- Partner Collaborate with local non-profits and other organizations or groups on events and activations. These actions may include mobilizing public support, meeting with local officials, launching a newspaper campaign, planning a rally, etc.
- Engage Actively share and interact with USOW media platforms and content to amplify the messages of our partner organizations and mission.
The United State of Women team is committed to providing Ambassadors with hands-on support throughout their tenure, including:
- Trainings Skill building workshops on topics like as leadership, organizing, and public speaking.
- Mentorship Opportunities to learn from industry experts.
- Network A community of support, including monthly conference calls, 1-1 strategy sessions, and a network of other Ambassadors.
- Resources Organizing toolkits and issue-specific data and information.
- Reach Ability to utilize USOW’s network to highlight local events through email lists, social media, and organizational partners.
- Access The opportunity to represent USOW at local and regional events.
- Events Registration to USOW events in your area.
Want to learn more? Check out a recording of our recent informational webinar with USOW Program Manager Gabriela Cristobal.
This is a volunteer position with a commitment of roughly 5 hours/week from June of 2019 through June of 2020 with the opportunity to represent your community for up to three cycles.
You can learn more about our current USOW Ambassadors here.